So you show up at church and 45 minutes before service starts you hear that there was a mix up and the Children's Storyteller for the day is actually giving the adult sermon instead. Oh. What do you do? Well, that is exactly what happened to me yesterday morning.
Here is 1 thing you can do to prevent this from happening and another to do in case this does ever happens to you.
- Make sure this doesn't happen again. Of course you can't always control all things, but a few things you could do leading up to the week that will ensure this doesn't happen often. Make sure you touch base with the Storyteller during the week, making sure all things are good. Now, on our part, our Children's Ministry Director did this. The storyteller basically just had a "brain fart" and didn't connect the dots. But, it always helps to touch base with the Storyteller earlier in the week to make sure he/she is ok and good for that coming Sunday.
- Be prepared to step up. Yesterday, of all days was the day I really didn't want to get up and Storytell to the children. I've been swamped with leading different lessons and devotionals lately, so this past Sunday was a day I was looking forward to laying low. Well, that wasn't the case. I immediately grabbed the storytelling book and started reviewing the story to tell. In situations likes these, someone has to be prepared to step up and lead on such short notice. Thankfully, Orange, has all the material laid out nicely where I could grab it and start going over it.
Overall, this was a great lesson learned for us and I'm glad we were able to adapt and adjust. But I really hope this never happens again.
Thoughts? Comments? Experiences? Other Input? TAKE A MINUTE right now and post so we can all benefit.
Possibly Related Posts:
- the Monday Morning Debrief: Overcoming Dark Times
- Looking for a new Minister or Church, ask this group to help
- the Monday Morning Debrief: Processing OC ’13
- Orange ’13: 2nd Friday Morning General Session Notes
- Orange ’13: 1st Friday Morning General Session Notes