After listening to Taylor Swift's 1st single from her upcoming album with my daughters, I came to the conclusion that Taylor Swift, above any and all other women, speak to this generation of young women...and girls listen and love what she has to say.
So here is why I think Taylor Swift speaks for this generation's women (young women):
- Girls Identify with her and her music. They love it for how it sounds, sure but it is the words and emotions that they identify with. Whether it is break up songs, heart break songs or fun songs, girls identify with her and her music. Her songs usually hit #1 on the iTunes chart the day they are released (as this latest one was).
- She lets them into her life. She video blogs about what is happening in her life and shares what she is up to. Not much really but she is consistent at sharing her life and thanking her fans.
- She "seems" real. Of course we never really know everything about everyone, but from what I can gather, she seems real and authentic. Everyone wants someone who is real. We have enough fake-ness going on in life, that when someone seems real, transparent and honest, people usually flock to her. So whether it is in her video blogs or in concert or even just out doing nice things for others, it seems like her personality is real and genuine.
I say all this because although I personally love Taylor Swift's music and it's a great way for me to connect with my girls, I wonder why there isn't some Christian Artist out there who can't do the same thing Taylor does, but put an emphasis more on Christ in her life. I'm not saying Taylor isn't a believer, but can you imagine what kind of impact Taylor would have on so many girls had she involved Christ more and encouraged them in their relationship with the Lord?
So is there a "christian" Taylor Swift out there? If so, who can we be pointing our young girls and women to as a great role model?
Thoughts? Comments? Experiences? Post them here so we can begin a good discussion on this.
Possibly Related Posts:
- the Monday Morning Debrief: Instagram
- the Monday Morning Debrief: What to do when real life happens
- OC ’12: Leading an Inclusion Initiative
- What Netflix’s Downturn has to do with Ministry
- College Ministry Q of the Month: Effextively Reaching More